8.14.2008

Au Revoir

I was thinking of what usually gets me writing lately. Things I dream up, of stories between people, sprinkling bits of truth I know first-hand, second-hand, no-hands. I started writing this in my Starbucks, sitting there after having sat for a while. This is what came out:

I packed up but I
Didn't leave - wasn't easy
Couldn't say why
I found it so hard
Like the top of a skull
Of your head against mine
On pillows soft
Cushioned with ease and comfort
We. Were. Relaxed.
Broken In
Days of simple rest
At rest, no music on
Just breaths
Yours, mine, ours
But as I put away
What was mine
And left alone what was yours
I found it
I found it, I found it
I found it
I found the piece
That held together
You with me
You from me
Me against me
Like a hand upon a mirror
I saw
- and, hear, I'd use all those metaphors about reflections
so cheesy and overused, I'm sure you'd already know -
What I'd been failing to see: Disregard
And in this regard
I say words which whisper farewell
Now the case is closed
And I've packed up better
This time 'round
I'm at the door
Between Here and Away
Steps taken --
Easy

++

No comments:

About Me

My photo
student.artiste.do-er.believer.let's go.